Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Still Reluctant to Tweet

So I have been exploring Twitter, mostly spending far too many hours reading or viewing the links that educators have attached to their tweets.  I am both impressed and overwhelmed by the volume of information that is available.  While it is both inspiring and intimidating to see the different opinions expressed about educational issues and the use of technology, my own opinions are not clearly formed.  As a student, my learning style is to absorb and reflect on a fair amount of information and consider different sides of an issue before forming an opinion.  There are so many knowledgeable  and experienced educators utilizing Twitter, I think my time is better spent learning from them rather than contributing content at the present time.  I expect that my future tweets will likely be limited to re-tweeting links that I found particularly helpful for newbies like myself.

One area that I have been following on Twitter is the references to copyright law and educational use of copyrighted material.  I used to be very familiar with copyright law as I studied it in school and am curious as to how it is being interpreted in the real world.  I personally don't believe it should be as big of an issue as it appears to be.  I am curious to do more research on this issue and possibly do some blog posts about the topic in the future.

Clearly Twitter is a tremendous resource to learn about utilizing technology in the classroom.  I have also discovered some very useful links for math lesson plans.  However, I have found myself struggling with  how I might best utilize Twitter in my teaching career.  I'm not particularly interested in collecting thousands of people to follow or having people follow me.  As a new teacher, I think I need to focus primarily on being effective in the classroom and only after teaching for a while will I have obtained sufficient experience to be truly helpful to others.  Of course, learning how a particular app or program works and sharing that information with others is one way even as a new teacher I could contribute to the teaching community.


No comments:

Post a Comment